Americana Insights is currently seeking new, original research focused on a single object or group of objects or a single creator or a related group of artists or craftspeople.
- Essays should reflect awareness of published information about their topic and add to that existing body of knowledge. Writing should be clear, absorbing, and accessible to any interested reader.
- Essay lengths should be between 2500–5500 words (including endnotes) and include six to twenty illustrations of objects, artists, and related contextual images.
- In addition to full-length essays, we will also consider a separate category of Briefs—short papers of 750–1500 words that focus sharply on a single thesis, artist, or object and should be accompanied by one to ten images.
- Researchers who have new information they would like to add to previously published material are also encouraged to contact us.
- Institutions and organizations are encouraged to send us information about related exhibitions, symposia, and special events, which we will include on our website.
We will provide authors and photographers with detailed information about our requirements. Writers should consult the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition for format and style guidelines for any piece submitted for consideration. Authors will be asked to submit lists of their preferred illustrations with information about the owners of the images and how to contact them. We will cover all photographic costs, including permission usage fees. We also will offer an honorarium for all accepted essays.
If you wish to propose an essay, please use the form below to submit a brief synopsis (250 words or less) along with two to five sample images and a copy of your resume or send to 435 Longmeadow Drive, Shelburne, VT 05482.